Saturday, October 11, 2008

NO RAINBOWS cont.

It was only a little past noon on Thursday when Kathleen's phone rang. "Hello?"

"Hello, Kathleen, this is Riley again. I'm just ready to head home so I thought I'd call before I get engrossed with child activities."

"You're finished teaching for the day?"

"I am." He paused, "So-how about that coffee date? I think we have enough in common to build friendship."

"We don't even know each other. How could you know what we have in common?"

She could hear his smile as he answered, "We both like dogs-that's a start. And we both like being outdoors, even in the rain."

He went on, "Let's see then, we both have careers and we're close to the same age-adult."

She said, "I'm listening but I'm not convinced."

He went on, "We both like children. You admitted you did. And you're attractive when you aren't crying over you know who. Your smile is great, I'd like to see it a lot more often."

She smiled then, she couldn't help it. "Are you through?"

"Not yet. We both like coffee but not sweet."

"That's it?"

"This is my clincher. I have children and you want some, but you have to learn to like me first. Oh yes, the other part of that, I have the superior genes common in redheads to pass on to future children. Now are you clenched?"

Stunned, Kathleen was almost angry but he'd sounded very insecure in spite of the bravado of the words. A laugh escaped, she couldn't help it. "I'm not clenched. Not even close, but I'm listening. I'd say your case is pretty flimsy so far. Any how, the point about the children is a tough one for me. I admit I like children, even that I'd like some but I don't want to learn to love a child again and then have them shut out of my life. It hurts too bad. I also wouldn't want to get interested in a man who just wanted child care."

She drew in a deep breath, "Besides that, I don't get involved easily, or often, so I'm not ready to think about a relationship right now." She paused, "I could use an occasional friendly cup of coffee and some conversation, if that's an option."

"It is an option. I can tell you aren't ready for anything else now so I think that's a pretty good deal. Say coffee tomorrow, at Starbucks on 18Th."

"I could do that. What time?"

"I have an early class and no office hours, about ten thirty. I don't pick up the kids from pre-school until noon."

"All right. I'll combine it with a trip for office supplies and see you then. Goodbye now."

"Goodbye. See you tomorrow. Oh, and Kathleen, I did hear what you said about the children. I'll be very careful to see neither of those things happen."

Kathleen put the phone down and stood staring out her back window. No rain today, no rainbows either but still an improvement. This was the perfect time to clean up the garden. Get it ready for a new planting in the spring. She located a jacket and gloves and then headed outside to begin pulling the withered plants, determined that next year's garden would be even better. The end.

No comments: