Sunday, October 05, 2008

NO RAINBOWS cont.

She'd completed two stops and was just going for groceries when it suddenly occurred to her, she hadn't thought about Steve once since she left the park. She'd been too busy fuming about that jerk. Where did he get his crazy ideas? What nerve.

By the next Saturday she'd passed the sidewalk chalk on and hadn't cried all week. She still ached whenever something reminded her of Steve or Ashley but every day she had more time when she didn't think about them. She did think about Charley's owner a time or two. He was amusing even if he did irritate her. He was kind of good looking too. Well, she'd put him and his kids out of her mind for good. She didn't have extra energy to waste thinking about him. She avoided the dog park entirely and took Emma to Joyce's rural home north of town. They both enjoyed the time with Joyce. While she was driving home, Kathleen wondered casually if Charley had been at the dog park.

On Monday, the phone rang mid morning. "Hello?"

"Kathleen, please don't hang up. Let me talk a minute. This is Riley Barrows, Jamey and Kelly's father and foster parent to Chrley."

"How did you find me? I can't believe this. You didnt even know my name."

"Before I tell you, I need to tell you that I can give you reference. I'm not a stalker, not dangerous. I'm just an ordinary guy, a teacher from the Community College. A little nicer than some but just ordinary."

"So! How did you find me?"

"This morning, when I wanted to find you and couldn't think how, I remembered the article in the paper about the Department of Motor Vehicles on the Internet. I thought about it awhile and finally connected on your licesnse plate number. Does that upset you?"

"Yes it does. It make me feel spied on. I don't like it at all."

"Kathleen, I'm sorry I looked for you. I was worried that you stayed away from the dog park because of me. I didn't want to lose contact with you. "I'll hang up now if you don't want to talk to me."

"Riley, you said your name was. It fits you somehow. Part of the reason I skipped the dog park was because of you. You seem to rub me the wrong way. "

"Ha! What I really do is distract you from moping about what's his name. Admit it, I do distract you, don't I?"

Kathleen thought about his question before she answered, "Yes, you do. I admit it. But I'm not sure the anger you cause is any better for me."

"Seriously Kathleen, I don't want you to disappear. I hope we can get together for a cup of coffee sometime, get a little better acquainted. At least share the dog park."

"I'm on a deadline right now and don't have time to think about this. You might call later in the week and I'll consider the dog park."

"I will. There might not even be rain."

Kathleen said goodbye and ended the call. She probably wouldn't go. She might have something better to do.

No comments: